How It’s Made: Protein Powders

Rate this post

Humans need protein for things like tissue repair and enzyme production. Raw protein powders come in different types- dairy and plant-sourced.

People consume them for muscle building, although they sometimes result in weight gain. Protein powders are simply concentrates of protein. We categorize them into three groups.

  • Protein concentrates. It guarantees a user around 70% proteins. Makers extract it from whole food using heat or acid. The remaining 30% is available but in the form of fats.
  • Protein isolates. When subjected to further filtration, it results in a less fatty protein. This type can contain up to 95% protein.
  • Protein hydrolysates. The body absorbs this type of protein the fastest. To make it, they further heat the protein with acid. Any bonds binding the amino acids are already broken, hence, the rapid absorption.

How Is Protein Powder Made?

Protein powder is all over the market, and many people wonder how it is made. The process is quite simple though delicate. They collect and cool the milk to 4 degrees. In refrigerated trucks, it is moved to the factory, where it is pasteurized. This is done in 70-73 degrees centigrade.

They then take it through cheese processing. It is here that they drain the whey. To produce the protein powders, you know. They spray dry the whey to make it into powder.

The whey is made into isolate by microfiltration. The next stage is ultrafiltration to produce WPC-80. Packaging and storage start here.

To make specific protein powders, they blend different proteins with flavors. Now the only remaining stage is supplied to supplement distributors.

Different Types Of Protein Powder

Protein powders come in different types for different consumers. Each class has its results in the body, and the consumer uses it for that very reason.

Whey Protein

This protein contains lactose. Some have issues with this milk sugar component. Whey comes from milk- it is made during the cheese-making process. The lactose is, however, in low quantities due to the processing.

Almost all the milk sugar is lost as the whey undergoes processing. This protein powder is a helpful option for athletes looking to build muscles. It is riddled with branched-chain amino acids.

The BCAA contains leucine which helps in muscle building. It is also very helpful in recovery during high resistance exercises.

Casein Protein

It comes from milk like its counterpart, but its digestion is relatively slow. Once in the stomach, it mixes with stomach acid to form a gel. This gel makes emptying the stomach difficult. This results in the slow absorption of amino acids into the body.

If the amino acids get to muscle slowly, then their breakdown will be slower. It is recommended for improving body composition for people who engage in resistance training. It enhances strength, too but not as much as whey protein.

Egg protein

This one is slightly different. It is sourced from plants. One world-known source of reliable protein is the egg. Its protein digestibility-corrected amino acids score among all whole foods. This is its quality and digestibility.

Eggs are characterized by decreasing appetite and keeping consumers extraordinarily full. The egg white is the only part of protein powder production and not the entire egg. The quality of the protein remains high even with the separation.

The ability to keep users full is, however, not very evident in the product. It is recommended for lean mass gain and muscle strength. Egg white is recommended for people with dairy allergies but prefers to supplement through animal protein.

Protein powders are a perfect source of reliable protein. It comes in a concentrated and convenient form. Not everyone needs protein supplements, but they come in handy during strength training. People with trouble meeting their protein needs from the meals can try protein powders.


I have 22 Year experience in website development, blogging, Seo, Link building. Digital Mareting Expert Certified By Hubspot Academy. Social Media Marketing Expert Certifed by Hubspot Academy. Google Adword Certifed Expert.

Leave a Comment